Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I did it.


I signed up for Crossfit.


After spending some time researching crossfit places in the DC area, I picked the one with the website I liked the most and signed up. I was shocked by how expensive it is. Most places I looked up charged around $200/month but since I can easily spend that much on a good night out partying with my friends, I figured I should definitely be willing to invest that in my body. A lot of the places offered free introductory classes on Saturdays but I'm pretty impatient (which should be obvious from my grammar/spelling errors here) and Saturday seemed way too long to wait.

Today I started a four week Crossfit boot camp - It's 3 classes a week (Tues, Thurs, Sat) for an hour. When I arrived at Primal Fitness I was definitely surprised. The gym is in an old firehouse and is....minimalistic. There were some weights lined up against the wall, some ropes hanging from the ceiling, a couple mats and a couple tables. Oh and it was HOT...like...slavery hot. I was sweating before we even started. There were big industrial fans but no AC and it was 90+ degrees and humid in DC today. Apparently, this is part of the Crossfit experience and may be something I learn to love? There were three other people at bootcamp - two men and one woman. Today was pretty light since it was our first day and we did some talking about crossfit in general but the workout definitely challenged me.

***

The Workout:

We started with a warm up. The warm up (x2) was a lap around the block followed by 10 pushups (I did knee pushups), 10 squats, 10 jump pull ups and 2 Samson stretches.

Then we did some stretching before our first workout.

The workout was called a "1/2 Cindy" and was done so that our trainer could get a sense of where we were endurance wise. In 10 minutes, we had to see how many rounds of 5 jump pullups + 10 pushups+ 15 squats we could do. It sounds easier than it was. I made it to 7.

***

Overall it was a good experience even though there was a point when my stomach felt a little funny. I know the next workout will be longer and more intense and I'm actually looking forward to a little bit of the pain. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm planning to weigh in at the end of the week since I got a little off track during the last week of bar exam study. I'll also update with a post of how I've been eating....


If you want to know more about Crossfit, check out Determined to Be Fit. I absolutely love this blog. The creator does Crossfit and A LOT of running and is in PHENOMENAL shape.

-Nash


1 comment:

  1. I was looking forward to seeing how you liked your visit. Thanks for the sweet shout out!

    I haven't done Cindy in a minute, but it is deceptively simple. The worst CrossFit workouts that I've ever done were the ones that on the board looked simple.

    And LOL about it being slavery hot in there because that sounds like an accurate description. Doing CrossFit changed my mind about what a gym should look like. I've gotten better workouts in my grungy gym that basically contains a bunch of barbells, some dumbells and pullup bars than I ever have at my gym with all the fancy machines.

    ReplyDelete