Saturday, August 13, 2011

Running/Cross fit Update

I am very proud to say I've been working out a lot. Last week, I managed to workout 5 out of 7 days. This week I'm on schedule to work out 6 out of 7 days. I've followed the schedule I posted on Sunday exactly and have a four mile run on deck tomorrow. I may work on some of the cross fit moves I've learned after my run.

I said before that I was going to try the schedule I listed out and make changes as necessary. So far I think the schedule works well and the only thing I'll change is my mileage as I prepare for the half marathon. I may try a different spin class because the one I attended was just OK. The workout was pretty good but the instructor was just playing songs on her ipod, literally shifting from one to the next, no transitions or anything. Also, the music was bleh. I felt kind of bad but half way through the class I took my ipod out, put on my armband and blasted my own music so I could keep going and get hype. I guess that's kind of rude but she wasn't giving me much to work with and I didn't want to walk out of the class.

As far as cross fit goes...I have a love/dread experience. I always leave feeling glad that I came (and bootcamp workouts are nothing compared to the regular workouts I see other people doing) but I promise you...EVERY SINGLE TIME I enter the gym I'm thinking of reasons that I shouldn't be there or excuses to leave early.

Tuesday's Cross fit workout:

Warmup (x2): Run 1 lap, 10 goblet squats, 10 jump pull ups, 10 push ups, sampson squats

Workout:

Back squats 3x5 (55lbs) -- I felt like I could do more but my form was messy and I was trying to get that right.

Overhead pushups (30lbs) - It felt pretty easy and I knew I wanted to do a lot more next time.

Pull ups -- did 3 sets of 5 with this green rubber band thing that made it easier followed by....

30 Burpees - Burpees are the spawn of satan. I hate them. 30 Burpees. Timed. Did I say I hate burpees? 3:03. Gotta do better.


Oh and for the record, crossfit does NOT care about black girl problems. It started raining after I had finished my first lap of warmups. Thought that meant, I could skip the second lap. I mean...it was raining? No. No I couldn't.

Thursday's Cross fit Workout:

Warmup (x2) - 1 lap, 16 walking lunges, 10 jumping pullups, 10 t-pushups (i did them on my knees) samson stretch

Workout:

On Thursday, we learned the basics of L-Sit and Handstands and then did a 8 rounds of both holding for 12 seconds each. I couldn't lift my legs all the way up but i could hold my legs high at my knees so that's a start. I tried the handstand facing away from the wall and climbing up. Didn't get all the way there but did pretty well

We followed this with dumbbell push presses and kettlebell swings timed. 4x12. I finished first at 3:40 but my weights weren't very heavy. 17lbs for the kettle bell and I started with 15lbs for the dumbbell push presses on the first two sets and then switched to 5 lbs for the last two sets. I wanted to do 10lbs but there weren't any more for me to use. I felt ridiculous with the 5lbs but i made sure my form was perfect and my arms still burned after everything we did.

Today's Cross fit Workout:

Warmup (x2): Run 1 lap, 10 goblet squats,10 inchworms, 10 JPUs, samson stretch

Workout:

We started by learning how to do dead lifts. We did 3x5 on top of two warm up sets. I did 3 sets at 90lbs and then my instructor said it looked easy so I moved up to 115 lbs. At 115 lbs., i still had my form and my instructor thinks I can handle more weight.

Next, we did dumbnell thrusters and ended with 3 rounds (timed): 1 lap, 12 dumbbell thrusters (I used 10 lb weights)

I came in last place :/ The run slowed me down more than the weights did. I felt like my legs were moving so slow on each lap. It was definitely a tough/great conditioning exercise and Im looking forward to doing more deadlifts.


I haven't dropped any more weight yet but I am feeling very good about my commitment to exercising.

I'm slowly starting to feel my body wanting to workout and I'm slowly getting over those mind farts where I can make myself workout even when I dont want to and get a good workout in. Also, thanks to cross fit, i now have things to do in the gym after I run and exercises i can practice at home.



I'll update tomorrow on how my runs have gone. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!


-Nash

No comments:

Post a Comment