Monday, October 17, 2011

Making Time

This morning I got up at 7:15 to get a short run in before work.


This was after skipping FOUR days of running.


I woke up each of those days intending to workout. Somehow, I never got to it. I'm adjusting to a new job that requires longer hours, doing some [very] preliminary wedding planning and still trying to enjoy being engaged. I'm sure those all played a part but even still, I'm a firm believer that you can always make time for working out.


Now when I say that, I'm not even talking about, "If something is really important to you, you'll make time for it." [Let's save that for heated conversations with delinquet mates]. What I mean is, it's simply easier to make time for working out than you think. This morning when I woke up for a run, it was 7:15 am. I had set my alarm for 5:15 but per usual had ignored it and continued to lay in bed. When my alarm went off at 7:15, I laid there thinking about how much time it was going to take me to work out (even though I had laid my workout clothes next to the bed the night before) and how I should just wait until later to run so I won't be late to work.



I can be a very lazy person. As a result, I've gotten really good at overestimating the time it takes to do things in an effort to convince myself that it shoudln't or can't get done. When it comes to working out and running in particular, I've found a way to think about things that nips that thought process in the bud:




I can run a mile without killing myself in 10:00.



Ten MEASLY minutes.



ELEVEN minutes if I want to take my time.










There is NEVER a day when I don't have 10 minutes to spare. Now I may need to add in another 20 minutes to dress/undress and shower but it's RARELY the shower/dressing part that convinces me I don't have enough time.



I know I'm not dropping bombs over here but reminding myself of what I can get done in 10 minutes makes working out not seem as daunting.




I failed at it last week but this week I'm going to make sure I make the time.


-Nash

No comments:

Post a Comment