Wednesday, October 12, 2011

#2 - My grandmother made me say B.M. instead of poop

B.M. stands for bowel movement.


My grandmother taught me that.

I wasn't allowed to say poop or "doo doo" around her. It was only B.M. or bowel movement. Sidebar: I remember one day we were riding in the car and she heard Lauryn Hill rap "and defecating on your microphone." She freaked out and told me my generation had problems. I didn't know what defecate meant.

Anyway, what does B.M., poop, doo-doo (i hyphenate b/c im fancy), defecation or bowel movements have to do with this blog?

It's the OTHER thing I wish someone had told me about before I started running.


**throws back vodka crystal light so I can over share about my intestinal problems**



**deep breaths**

Running can make you poop your pants like a first grader.

Yea, I said it.


One of my biggest fears when I go on runs longer than 3 miles is that I'm going to sh-t on myself.

I may or may not be exaggerating.

Anyway, when I first started running I noticed that when I ran for longer periods of time I had the strong urge to poop and sometimes...rarely...a couple of times...maybe...

there was a baby party in my pants.

(gross? get over it)

When this first started happening I took to Google to figure out if i had irritable bowel syndrome. I DON'T.

This is what I learned:

  • Most importantly since I exposed myself to the blogosphere, the "poop" syndrome is COMMON. Google it and you'll find tons of discussion boards full of runners who talk about how to avoid the poop.
  • Running is good for maintaining frequent bowels (shout out to all my constipated folks) because your intestines are constantly moving/bouncing up and down which loosens up your bowels.
  • Suggestions include sipping coffee (laxative) so that you can relieve yourself prior to running and incorporating more fiber into your diet so your poop schedule becomes more normal/regular and you know the best times to run.

If any runners have any better suggestions on how to handle this problem. please let me know. It's one thing I think people don't talk about because they're embarrassed but its something new runners should know. I'm also sure there are more solutions out there.

Gross? Get over it.

- Nash




1 comment:

  1. I usually get nervous before a really long run or race and have to go. I make sure that I handle that before run time. I've never had to go (fingers crossed) during a run and I've been on some LONG runs.

    Before a long run, I make sure that I eat something and have at least 2 hours to get it settled and out of my system. I eat bland stuff like 1/2 bagel - something that I know won't tear my stomach up. Even with that I still have to go! Nerves I think.

    I think the true cause of runner's trots can be so individual that there is no one solution for everyone. It could be something you ate the day before that is the cause. It could be something in the PowerAde from a water stop that doesn't agree with your stomach.

    You can always try Immodium AD if you are doing a long run and fearful of an episode!

    ReplyDelete