Friday, July 15, 2011

I should be studying for the bar...


I should be studying for the bar exam right now but I'm pretty damn good at procrastinating so I thought I'd write a post that dealt with some of my specific fitness goals.

Right now I'm signed up for a half marathon in Minneapolis on August 21st. This will be my third marathon in this series and I'm looking forward to it. I have some concerns because it can be difficult to train while studying for the bar exam but that's over on July 28th (please keep me in your prayers because bar exam life is M-I-S-E-R-A-B-L-E). My initial goal at the beginning of the year was to complete four half marathons. I'm planning on my fourth being the St. Jude Half Marathon in Memphis, TN in December but it's already filled. So now I'm thinking about either the Rock n Roll Half Marathon in LA on October 30th or the Rock n Roll Half in Vegas on December 4th. The one in Vegas is at night time so I think that'd be a pretty fun run under the lights. I have friends and family out in LA that I'd love to catch up with too. Maybe I'll do both:)

I have a pretty strong aversion to strength training even though I think that will be the key to really changing and toning my body. Not sure where it stems from but until I can get hooked on weights, I'm looking at other ways to get the same results. A friend of mine gave me their copy of the Insanity workout. I haven't done any of the DVDs yet but i've heard great things about it. One of the friends that I ran the rebel race 5k with does insanity and i was EXTREMELY impressed with her fitness level.

A few months ago I joined a yoga studio in Washington, DC called Stroga. Its a great place and I found that yoga did amazing things for my body and flexibility. The flexibility part was really important as i find myself very stiff from all the running I've been doing. I'm in the process of relocating to Memphis, TN and hope to find a good yoga place here to join. I have my eye on one place I want to try but don't know when I'll get the chance.

Still trying to figure out what my workout approach/plan is going to be but hoping to have it all together after the bar exam. Til then, i'll just be running to get ready for the half....

Today I did 4.5 miles on the treadmill and then had a yummy home cooked meal (i REALLY enjoy eating). BBQ pulled pork sandwich with homemade bbq sauce on a wheat bun, string beans and whipped sweet potatoes. I took the pioneer woman's recipe and tweaked it some, adding my own bbq sauce and some yuengling light beer (and one on the side:)

Now off to studying...maybe.


No comments:

Post a Comment