Wednesday, January 25, 2012

26.2 miles is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of...

and yet, for some reason, I'm thinking about doing it. It was my dream for a long time to run a half-marathon and when I ran my first half marathon almost a year ago I was filled with pride and excitement. I also knew that I wanted to do it again. And again. And again. To me, 13.1 miles is the perfect distance. It's long enough to be a challenge but still manageable without aching or being bored out of your mind. The thought of running for over 4 hours straight seems absolutely ridiculous, painful and mind numbing to me but for some crazy reason, after a simple suggestion form a friend, I'm seriously considering it. On one hand, I don't think it will be fun at all. On the other, I think its a great challenge and I'm strangely intrigued by do something that I generally think is so horrible and painful.

The Chicago Marathon is on October 8th but registration opens on February 1st and fills up fast. I have a love affair with Chicago (I spent three years there while in law school and happened to meet my future husband there) and remember seeing thousands of people run down on my street with pained/excited looks on their faces. I have seven days to decide if I'm really about that life but I know I want 2012 to be filled with lots of new challenges so...why not?

If you're thinking about running a marathon for the first time or have already done so I would LOVE to hear your thoughts!

- Nash

1 comment: