Friday, September 16, 2011

Not every run is fun.

I'm sitting in the kitchen after finishing the Cooper Young 4-miler race here in Memphis. This was the first 4 mile race that I've done but my fourth race of the year. When I set my sights on completing my first half marathon at the beginning of the year, I had no idea where that journey would take me. With four races under my belt (and 2 more scheduled for the year), I feel comfortable calling myself a "runner." I've learned a lot along the way but I thought I'd share my most recent revelation which has played a huge role in helping me to be more CONSISTENT. Something I think most people struggle with.

Not every run is going to feel good. That shouldn't stop you.

There are days when my feet and legs feel like they weigh 478734987 lbs or when I get winded after .5 mile. There are days when I've gone outside to run in the perfect cool temperatures, expecting to have an amazing run and find myself struggling not to stop after a few blocks. One of the biggest things I've learned is that not every run is going to feel amazing or empowering or encouraging. There will be runs where nearly every step is an accomplishment. And that is FINE. That's just the way it is. Barring some pain, injury, or extreme fatigue, I need to be disciplined and not give into that voice that's telling me to stop. Not every run is going to leave me feeling like super woman. 9 times out of 10 though, I will regret stopping or not lacing up. I'll almost never regret running. A "bad" run doesn't mean you're any less athletic and shouldn't be a reason to down yourself or feel dejected. It's just a part of the process.

Coming to terms with that one simple ideal has made a huge deal in my training. Hope it helps.


-Nash

1 comment:

  1. not sure what prompted you to start a blog and name it after your collar bones, but for some odd reason I've always been attracted to women with nice collar bones. its something i tend to check out early in the courtship.

    no need to respond. just sharing some TMI

    ReplyDelete