Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Couple that Works Out Together aka. My New Training Partner

Since I started raining for my first half marathon nearly a year ago, I've done nearly all of my runs and workouts alone. This is about to change.


I have a new training partner...

My boyfriend.

Things are about to get VERY interesting. My boyfriend was a college athlete and has remained active until a few months ago when he injured his knee. His knee is finally back to normal and after hearing me complain about my progress, he's offered to join in with me. He'd like to lose a few pounds and reach some personal fitness goals as well. This will be extremely helpful when it comes to my eating habits. It can be INCREDIBLY difficult to chose salmon and veggies for dinner when my boyfriend brings home Chik-fil-a or BBQ.

Working out with him should also help me push myself. For a while now my bf has told me that he didn't think I was pushing myself as much as I could when it comes to running. My goal for my first half marathon was to finish. I wanted to at least hit an 11:00 pace (which I did), but outside of that I felt it would be a huge accomplishment to just finish. Since that race, my view hasn't really changed. During my runs, I hit a pace that feels relatively comfortable but nothing that really challenges me - no intervals, no speed work. Since I haven't been getting the results I want despite consistent exercise, it's time to kick things up a notch.



Now that my boyfriend is my new training partner, I have a new half-marathon training program as well that includes heart rate work, aerobic intervals, gentle picks ups, sprints, etc.

I'll be sure to update on my new training plan specifically and what it's like to consistently work out with my significant other. I generally think that working out with your SO can be a pretty great thing although there was a time yesterday when i managed to throw the medicine ball down at him a little *too* hard after one too many "C'mon! Push it!"s on his part.

52 days til the Outerbanks Half Marathon.

- Nash

No comments:

Post a Comment