Thursday, September 29, 2011

It's 1:54 am aka. I'm so sore I think I have the flu

and I can't sleep so I figured I'd write a post about how sore my body is from working out. Have you ever been so sore you feel like you have the flu? Or had to ease yourself slowly down to the toilet when you want to use the bathroom? Or you think your abs are swollen?



No?



I've worked out 3 times this week - 7 miles on Tuesday (ahem. I'm behind on my running schedule but a girl has to celebrate!), 3 miles today and a Kinect UFC Personal Training workout on Wednesday. I'm not sure where all this soreness is coming from but my best guess is the Kinect UFC personal training workout. All day today I looked like a complete creepster walking around the office, barely lifting my legs with each step. When I walked down the steps in my house, I had to turn sideaways and take one step at a time (Has that ever happened to you?). For those of you who are unfamiliar, Kinect is a video game console similar to the Wii but with better technology. The biggest distinguishing factor is that there is no controller - YOU ARE THE CONTROLLER (Was that creepy? Sorry.). My fiance (woohoo. promise I won't be annoying with that) bought this personal training game for Kinect and we've been trying it out. There are different training and workout programs on the game but we both started with the 30 day cut weight program. The program guides you through different exercises, counts your reps and critiques your form. On Tuesday, I ended up doing squats, lunges, leg lifts, bicycle crunches, jumping jacks and a few other exercises and it was tough. A lot tougher than I expected. I've run 7 miles before and 3 miles is not a huge strain for me but my thighs especially are crazy sore. I haven't been to Crossfit in a long time and I think the squats, lunges and other exercises really worked me out.



Either way, I can't continue living like this. A friend of mine (she's a super athlete with an amazing body) suggested I use a foam roller and another friend suggested I try out glutamine. My fiance blamed it on me not taking the proper time to stretch before and after workouts (the Kinect game actually has a pretty substantial cool down stretching period. I admit I stood there during that time because after working out I didn't fill like following along with stretching).



I'm going to try more stretching, the foam roller AND glutamine and let you guys know what I think.



What do you all do for extreme soreness??

1 comment:

  1. If you're working out hard, you will be sore! No amount of stretching (before or after) will change that. Foam rolling will help loosen tight muscles in in a different way than static stretching (although it is actually a way of stretching your muscles). If you've run a long distance, sometimes, what helps me is laying on my back with my feet and legs elevated against a wall after I do something hard. Supposedly keeps the lactic acid from building up. Also, try a cold tub or Ice bath....Fill the bath tub up with ice and cold water and sit in it for 8-10 minutes. it sucks, but it works. Like I said, if you are working hard, you are going to be sore, regardless of how you prepare yourself. The only thing you can really do is try and combat it afterward.

    ReplyDelete